[IMC-NYC] LAPD BLOCKS SATELLITE FEED OF INDYMEDIA COVERAGE OF DNC IN LOS ANGELES

Michael Eisenmenger eisenmen at rci.rutgers.edu
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 23:10:51 -0400

I spoke to one of our Paper Tigers in LA, apparently the LAPD showed
up hours before the scheduled satellite TV feed under the auspices of
a bomb scare. They detained three people who were presumably driving
the van. The police sealed the parking area and forced the engineer
from the nearby FSTV satellite van (conveniently parked 20 feet away)
rendering it inoperative. Literally hours went by and no bomb squad
ever showed up (hard to believe this was a real threat with all the
police facilities so close at hand - the IMC is blocks from Staples
Arena). Eventually some officers searched the van for the supposed
bomb. Needless to say they had no protective gear so it's hard to
imagine that the police ever considered the threat a real one.

Another larger question now arises - will the mainstream media cover
this as a news blackout by the LAPD or as a phony bombscare. If this
had been an NBC satellite truck one wonders if the police would have
dragged their feet so much and allowed their commercial programming
to be forced off the air.

Michael

- For Immediate Release -