[Imc-uk-process] A matter of censorship, antiwar activist and public concern - someone please unhide it

Ecovillage Network UK evnuk at gaia.org
Wed Jun 16 11:54:25 PDT 2004

A matter of censorship, antiwar activist and public concern - will someone
please unhide it
[this is a perfect example of how the Indymedia editorial system isn't working]

There appears to be something wrong at UK Indymedia.
With the system the way it is all it takes is one garcondumonde to bring
the entire system into disrepute.

Garcondumonde I'm gonna - tedious though it is - take apart your
'reasoning' one by one

This story is true.
http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2004/06/293456.html

I have quoted a Labour MP as the source who confirmed there WAS an official
news blackout in the runup to the recent elections.

You have to ask yourself the question was that blackout WHICH YOU ARE
FOLLOWING issued to protect Kathryn or the PM?
Advisories are not issued to newspapers if joe bloggs' daughter tries to
commit suicide.

I have put forward the MP's evidence that it is true - what evidence do you
have that it isn't?
Because you didn't see it in the papers?  Have you called the school? the
PM's office?

Either garcondumonde is afraid of the implications of official censorship
to protect the image of a politican or has - like some do at Indymedia a
personal grudge against me, the poster. In case you didn't notice - gdm -
it was the most popular article on the wire when you pulled it!

Whatever the article must stay along with the discussion that followed it.

This censorship is not just stifling the facts its also stifling the debate
over the facts

The suicide guidelines you quote state clearly the dangers of ignoring
suicide - and I'd agree if the article was flippant - but its not

So,  several negative comments appear over a couple of hours and thats
justification to pull it?

There is no justification at all here

1. for Kathryn's cry for help to have an impcat it must be heard.
2. we have a special duty to publish suicide stories when it reflects on a
public figure
3. the reasons quoted by gdm were entirely partial and didn't take into
account the positive comments
4. we cant even find the article using the search now
5. none of the points made by the Indymedia software writer were listened
to and he can't take part in this debate

Instead you could have just pulled the final wrecking comment

No discussion has taken place before this has been hidden - one person has
rounded up all the precarious comments supporting censorship and decided,
for themselves, to hide it.

So will someone please unhide it ASAP as a legitimate matter of both
antiwar activist and public concern.

Tony Gosling
0117 944 6219

MY GOD how you have to fight for the truth to be heard these days!
You can tell there's a war on when even Indymedia is censoring stories to
protect Blair's image.
Don;'t submit to this Rule By Secrecy

Re: [Imc-uk-features] [article:293456] infactual? and... CONFIRM!! :-)